Saturday, August 18, 2012

'If I catch oh my God'

Brazil was ‘discovered’ by Pedro Álvares Cabral, a Portuguese navigator and explorer, in 1500, when he was sailing to reach India (from Portugal), according to a teacher I had when I was 7. [I had to memorize this information because she would ask it in our History test later.] It was a colony of Portugal, that’s why we speak Portuguese and not Spanish like other countries in Latin America.

Brazil is the fifth largest country in the world but its population is distributed irregularly – sometimes it seems 90% of the population (whose total was around 191,000,000 in 2010) live in the city of São Paulo, mainly when you have to take the subway train during rush hour.

Even if Rio de Janeiro is our most famous city, it’s not the capital – Brasília (Distrito Federal) is. I guess Rio is now more widely known because of the animated film Rio (2011), directed by Carlos Saldanha. Places we see in the film really exist – it’s amazing. And maybe people are more interested in Brazil because we’ll host the World Cup in 2014 and the Olympic Games in 2016.

As I’m not a big fan of soccer, samba, Carnival and Michel Teló (incredibly one of the most famous Brazilian singer nowadays, here and abroad – have you ever listened to this: ‘Wow Wow / This way you’re gonna kill me / Oh if I catch, Oh my God, if I catch you / Delicious, delicious’? If not, I’m sure you will – it doesn’t matter if you’re in Hawaii, China or Bangladesh), I’ll try to show you Brazil as I see it. See Brazil through my eyes.



Reference sites:
- Biblioteca Virtual (data of the city of São Paulo)
- IBGE - Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística (population statistics of Brazil)
- Espaço Educar (map of Brazil)
- IMDb (animated movie Rio)
- YouTube (music video by Michel Teló, song 'If I catch you')

No comments:

Post a Comment